Benefits of Green Roofing:
- Reduce heating by adding mass and thermal resistance value.
- Reduce cooling loads on a building by up to ninety percent - a concentration of green roofs in a urban area can reduce the city's average temperatures during summer.
- Natural habitat creation.
- Filter pollutants and carbon dioxide out of the air which helps reduce disease rates such as asthma.
- Help to insulate a building for sound; the growing media helps to block lower frequencies and the plants block higher frequencies.
- With green roofs, the water stored in the substrate and the water retention system is taken up by the plants from where it is returned to the atmosphere through transpiration and evaporation.
- Green roofs not only retain rainwater, but also moderate the temperature of the water and act as natural filters for any of the water that happens to run off.